Tech Talk 03.10 Using Zoom
Zoom is Cornell's web and video conferencing service, provided free of charge for current faculty, staff, students and affiliates at all Cornell campuses. Attendees of Zoom meetings do not need to be affiliated with Cornell.
Over the course of 2017, Zoom will replace WebEx as the primary video conference and webinar tool supported by IT@Cornell.
All faculty, staff, and students are initially provisioned with a Zoom account that allows them to conduct meetings with up to 50 participants. Video is available. Audio is limited to "join by computer" and calling a long-distance (toll) number. However, staff and faculty have the ability to upgrade their Zoom account if they need a larger meeting capacity, would like to host a webinar, or require a toll-free number.
The following license upgrades are available.
- Large Meeting100 - allows you to host a meeting with up to 100 participants. If you previously hosted WebEx meetings with more than 45 participants, your Zoom account will be upgraded to this by default.
- Premium Audio - provides domestic and international toll-free calling and callback (where the meeting will call the participant).
- Webinar100 - allows you to host a webinar with up to 100 participants. If you were a frequent Webex Event Center or Training Center user, your Zoom account will be upgraded to this by default.
- Webinar500 - allows you to host a webinar with up to 500 participants.
- Webinar1000 - allows you to host a webinar with up to 1000 participants.
For more information on these options and to request a different Zoom license, visit Request Large Meeting, Webinar, or Premium Audio for Zoom page.
Training for Zoom
The next free online training session for Zoom Basic Training is Friday, March 17, noon –1 p.m., at https://cornell.zoom.us/j/218960878.
- Zoom Advanced Training, March 17, 1–2 p.m.
- Zoom Basic Training, April 3, noon–1 p.m.
- Zoom Advanced Training, April 3, 1–2 p.m.
For detailed information on how to attend these online trainings, visit: https://it.cornell.edu/zoom/zoom-trainings.
Tech Training Spotlight
Want to gain skills in Word 2016? Learn how to create new documents, edit and format text, navigation techniques, and layout options. Register now for the 4-hour Word 2016 Basic class scheduled for April 26.
To receive training announcements, send an email with the subject: join to IT-Training-Lemail@example.com.